Dear Cambridge Teachers,
Dance in the Schools is the terrific program that brings a team of Dance Teaching Artists into Cambridge Public School Special Start – 3rd grade classrooms in the month of March and extends into April. We individually connect our team of professional Dance Teaching Artists with interested Classroom Teachers to integrate dance and creative movement into the academic and arts curricula. You may choose up to three sessions. (Ultimately, the number of sessions that can run will depend on our funding.)
Once the Classroom Teacher is matched with a Dance Teaching Artist, collaboration begins. First, the Classroom Teachers choose from standards-based themes like Storytelling and Rhythm & Patterns. Other topics to discuss together are the curriculum, how the theme will scaffold the sessions, classroom issues and scheduling.
All children engage interactively, with the Classroom Teacher present. CDC safety guidelines are followed. Since the COVID pandemic, hybrid sessions are an option.
The completion of a short Classroom Teacher Evaluation form after your last session ends is considered a condition for participation in Dance in the Schools. Your feedback helps to substantiate the value of this program, and helps us to learn!
2024 is the 27th anniversary for Dance in the Schools!
Dance in the Schools Objectives:
- Enrich children’s learning of core academic subject matter through the integration of dance and movement in collaboration between dance teaching artists and classroom teachers
- Provide interactive learning through dance in order to facilitate creativity and innovation in the classroom
- Offer every student, regardless of their race, gender identity, ability, religious and cultural background, ethnicity, and language, the experience of dance-based learning
- Welcome students of all learning abilities
- Empower students who do not learn optimally in a traditional classroom setting
- Create a positive learning environment for all students
If interested, let’s get started! Fill out the form below